springside nature reserve

summary

Springside Nature Reserve, 20ha of rich biodiversity including forest, grassland and wetland, proclaimed in 1948, is the flagship project of Hillcrest Conservancy.

Historical background

A start was made in October 1975 when volunteers planted 5000 indigenous trees and trails were laid out.  A Steering Committee was established in July 1982 by members of these groups to administer the ongoing project.

A Constitution was adopted in 1987, detailing the management powers of the Committee as a sub-committee of Hillcrest Town Board.

In 1994, the toilet block was built with assistance from the Rotary Club of Hillcrest and a Resource Centre was “kick-started” with a R 10 000 donation from the Rotary Club of Hillcrest.  Building commenced in 1995 and was named the Kingfisher Centre, incorporating the Malachite Kingfisher used in the Rotary Club of Hillcrest logo.

VISIT SPRINGSIDE

93 Springside Rd, Hillcrest
Open daily 07:00-16:00 (7am-4pm)

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER